Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving & Black Friday

Three years ago, Theron & I made our second major purchase together: a 2002 Chevy Malibu from the Washington, Kennewick mission. That's right, a mission car. We got such a great deal on it that we didn't even test drive it before we bought it. Luckily, it turned out to be a great car for us. The first person to call about it bought it-one week after we put a sign in the window. As exciting as that was, it left me without a car. We spent some time looking around town for a new one, but ultimately decided we'd have to go to Utah to get a good deal. On our first real day of shopping we found the one. A silver '05 Nissan Maxima, with power everything, a V6 engine, 53,000 miles, and brand new tires. Okay, it had everything I wanted, but the price was at the top of our budget. We decided to keep looking and on Friday we called a guy who was selling his car because he is moving to Dubai. He had lowered his price $4000 in a week just trying to get rid of it. This Maxima is an '04 and it didn't come with key fobs or even an extra key, it's a funny color, and it needs new tires, but we figured for the price he was asking we could add all of the extras and still come out on top. To make a long story short, we bought it, bought 2 new key fobs and an extra key, and drove it home. This was my black Friday deal:
I also bought a wooden rocking chair at a garage sale by my Grandma's house. It was random, I know, but the couple said they work in the temple on Saturdays and so were not able to have a Saturday sale during the summer. It is a nice blue color that will hopefully strip off easily so I can stain it a nice wood color. Theron finally bought us a new flat-screen tv and is beautiful. The one true black Friday deal that we got was a 19" lcd at RCWilley for $169. Theron has wanted one to put in front of the treadmill and they usually start at $250.
Besides all the shopping, we spent a nice holiday in Utah with my Mom's family. The turkey was fabulous (thanks Aunt Linda) and everyone loved Uncle Mark's ribs. That may have to become part of the Shattuck family tradition, but only if Mark will teach us how to make them! We spent the day watching Matt's cell phone videos, playing pingpong, and watching football. What a great holiday!

1 comment:

Jess said...

What a Black Friday! Sounds like you got some really good deals. Yay to have a car again. This is the first year in a couple of years that I didn't get up at 3 in the morning. I liked not being out in the cold but I missed the excietment of running around all the stores and getting some awesome deals. : )